The Southeast Missouri State University Department of History seeks applicants for an instructor in social science. The successful applicant will coordinate a Social Science B.A. program, which includes teaching a three-course undergraduate sequence of online courses that cover qualitative and quantitative research methods. They will also supervise curricular cooperation with Anthropology and Geography faculty and collaborating departments. Additional responsibilities include teaching undergraduate courses in history, anthropology, or geography (depending on candidate’s expertise), and performing departmental, college and university service.
- M.A., Ph.D., or ABD in History, Anthropology, or Geography (Degree must be from a regionally accredited or internationally accredited/government certified university.)
- Demonstrated training and expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Related interdisciplinary preparation in additional social science fields
- Demonstrated teaching at college/university level as graduate assistant, instructor, or above
- Willingness and demonstrated ability to successful teach face to face classes and fully online learning environments, including the use of educational technology
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills
- Additional areas of teaching expertise to complement departmental strengths
- Demonstrated commitment to collegiality within the University community
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse work environment, including working with multi-cultural populations and an understanding of, and sensitivity to, issues affecting women and minorities
As a public regional university with a graduate mission, Southeast seeks candidates with a commitment to excellent undergraduate and graduate education and student success within the framework of the teacher-scholar model. Applications of instructional technology and pedagogical research are supported through the Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning and the Office of Online Learning. Successful candidates will contribute to the development of innovative instructional and assessment strategies and participate in initiatives promoting student success, retention and degree completion.
Application Deadline: This position is available August 1, 2018, and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by December 1, 2017.
Required Information: To apply, submit the following items online at: http://agency.governmentjobs. com/semoedu/default.cfm? promotionaljobs=1
- Letter of interest addressing required position qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Separate statement on interdisciplinary teaching philosophy
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts are required when offer of employment is accepted)
- Names, telephone numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of three professional references
Departmental Information: Information regarding the Department of History and the B.A. in Social Science program can be found at http://www.semo.edu/history
Additional information about Anthropology and Geography can be found at http://www.semo.edu/gcl.
University Facts: Southeast Missouri State University is a comprehensive regional state university with seven colleges and schools, 11,500 students, and a faculty and staff of over 1,100. Southeast is a moderately selective institution, offers baccalaureate, maters, and specialist degrees, and participates in joint doctoral programs with the University of Missouri. Cape Girardeau, a historic city overlooking the Mississippi River, is the hub of a thriving county with a population of approximately 71,000. Serving a region of more than 500,000 people, it is the largest center for retail, medical, manufacturing, communications, and cultural activities between St. Louis and Memphis.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER